Sunday, September 7, 2008

My Beautiful World - Day 8

The absolutely glorious day we had today was a reminder for me of the absolute truth of the old saw about there being two sides to every story. It is my understanding that our absolutely glorious weather today was a direct result of the power of Hurricane Ike. The strong low pressure in the storm sucked in high pressure around it. While the Turks and Caicos Islands were taking a beating, approximately 600 miles away, Central Florida was enjoying one of the most beautiful days we have had in a long time.

The ocean was very different from the norm, however. Three hours before high tide, the water was almost up to the cars.



If there is any doubt about the power of a "mere" Tropical Storm, take a look at the crookedness of the dune-guard posts Fay and Hanna left behind. They usually stand straight, and they are about 8' or so tall. These were pushed over to the side, and only maybe three or four feet of the posts stuck out from the sand.



Never mind what happened last week or what may happen in the future. Today was a day for cherishing the Gift of a perfect day.



My goal in this exercise is to notice and to be grateful for the beauty around me. Sometimes that is difficult for me because I can get so caught up in my own "issues" it is easy to overlook some incredible things.

Fortunately, even my powers of denial were not able to ignore the glorious day we had today. I am duly grateful ... not to mention awed and amazed.

No comments: