Sunday, September 14, 2008

Bare Nekked In Public

I am not sure exactly how it happened, but today I broke a blood vessel on the ventral side of my left ring finger. I noticed it was sore when I was mopping the bathroom. I didn't think anything of it.

Later in the pool, I noticed that my finger was swollen and had become very sore. I could twist my wedding ring around but I couldn't slide it forwards and backwards like usual. When I came in from the pool, I soaked my hand in ice water for a few minutes and managed to get the ring off after a couple of tries.

The only other time I took my wedding ring off was when I was pregnant and, well, everything sort of got too tight. During those months I wore a ring that had been in my mother's family for generations. After DD was born, I put my own wedding ring back on and I haven't taken it off in 19 years.

This afternoon I had to go to the grocery store to pick up a few items. I was fully clothed and otherwise presentable, but I felt as though I was walking around Target stark naked without my wedding ring.

It was a weird feeling.

I hope the swelling goes down before Monday. I don't think I could go to work in the nude like this.

No comments: