Tuesday, March 17, 2009

On Disappointment

I have never taken rejection well.  As a matter of fact, I have avoided the occasion for rejection. I think that is perhaps the primary reason I avoided writing seriously.  Other than perhaps the performing arts, I can't think of anything one can do that is more demoralizing than spending months or years of your life pouring yourself into creating a story and then having nobody want to read it. [Maybe having people read it and hate it would be worse, but I haven't got that far.] 

This year I entered the Amazon Breakthrough Novel Contest.  I thought I had a good strong contender, but I didn't make the quarterfinals.  I thought I would be very disappointed.  I took it better than I expected.  

So, now, I'm  back to square one.  Starting over.  Maybe the next time will be the lucky one. Maybe not.  Every time is one closer to "The One."

No comments: