Friday, June 20, 2008

One Issue Voter

I am considering joining the ranks of the one-issue voters. The closest I ever came to that before was my general reluctance to vote for anyone who was totally opposed to abortion under any circumstances and also my reluctance to vote for any candidate who ever supported the war in Iraq. Reluctance does not equal refusal. I have gritted my teeth and voted for anti-choice candidates due to their positions on other issues. I voted for Kerry in the last election despite his initial support of the war, although it was difficult because I really didn't like him much.

One-issue voters always irritated and frightened me. I think politics is about seeing the big picture and compromising as necessary. Making one burning issue the one, unalterable factor in a candidate's platform seems dangerous to me. I'm leaning toward being a one-issue voter on the question of oil. Oil is my one issue. I will not vote for a candidate who favors drilling in the Arctic National Wildlife Reserve. I will not vote for a candidate who favors drilling in the Gulf of Mexico. Frankly, I don't think I could support a candidate who proposes to increase production of or search for more oil, period.

Beginning now and for the foreseeable future, I will only support candidates who favor development of alternative fuels.

I want a President who will lead America on an Quest for Oil Independence.

It could happen.

No comments: