Friday, June 27, 2008

Cosmic Convergence Gone Bad, or what?

I am not sure what is going on, but it seems as though everyone in my world is going through a particularly bad patch these days. I, on the other hand, have been especially energetic and positive.... that is, until I start to think about all the problems my loved-ones are having. Then I start to cycle downward.

We have so much to be grateful for, but certain people are not grateful unless everything is going smoothly. They want it all. They want it now. They want it to be perfect. I think that attitude is culturally conditioned into Americans.

Today I was privileged to have a conversation with a man from another state. He had a particularly bad day yesterday. His car was vandalized and robbed. The vandals broke out the windows in a driving rainstorm and stole a computer belonging to our company, a camera and a bunch of other stuff belonging to the man from his car. The man had to drive home in the rain with a busted out window.

He admitted to having had a bad day yesterday. He confessed that he had been irritable and frustrated. I ended the conversation wishing him a better day today. He said brightly, "I was able to get out of bed this morning under my own power. I had food in the fridge to eat. I have a job that pays my bills. Any day I can say that is gonna be a good day."

What a neat person. Having a conversation like that was a blessing for me. It was a pleasure and privilege to encounter someone so up-beat and positive as a counter-weight to all the negativity which fills my world. I am grateful for that encounter.

I wish more people ascribed to the "Every Day is a Gift" philosophy. I try to do so. I really try.

Some days it is harder than others. Today, blessed by the witness of that delightful man, was easier than most.

No comments: