Wednesday, December 3, 2008

Three Weeks Before Christmas

Yesterday morning I walked out the front door and headed for work. Before I had driven two blocks, the gas light came on. Someone had used my car the night before and brought it back with an empty gas tank. I muttered and swore all the way to the gas station.

I pulled into the nearest gas station and put my credit card in the slot. The machine rejected my card, indicating I should present the card to the attendant. Ordinarily, I'd have left. I have had gas pumps refuse my card before; I usually just go to another station. I usually have enough gas to get to another gas station. I didn't have that luxury this time. I took my card inside. The attendant ran it through twice and said it was rejected. She looked at me like I was some kind of low-life. I mumbled something about how there must be some kind of mistake.

Of course, I had no cash on me. I only have one credit card. I didn't have enough gas to get to work. I tried (not entirely successfully) to hold my temper.

I was already irritated with my Dear Husband for bringing my car home with no gas. I knew he was still in bed, but I called him and asked him to come to the gas station right away with cash or a working credit card. He didn't even give me any lip. He was there in less than fifteen minutes. He put gas in my car and I headed for work.

A little while later, he called to let me know that the problem occurred because he had ordered a replacement for his worn credit card. The bank canceled the entire account. The bank indicated they are mailing us new cards, which should arrive within a week to ten days.

I have to go on a business trip next week. My boss has agreed to pay for my room if my card hasn't come yet.

I have not purchased one single Christmas present yet. I guess I will be reduced to using
-- GASP -- cash.

The holidays are off to a great start!



No comments: