Thursday, April 24, 2008

It's Just Transportation, People!

I picked up the new car today. It is amazing to me what a big deal people make of new cars. After some internal family discussions, we determined that it would be inconvenient to pick up the new car today. I asked DH to call the dealership and tell them I would pick it up tomorrow. I guess that must have set off red flags in the dealership. Maybe they thought we would welsh on the deal. The salesman gave DH a sob story about how he came in special to deliver the car today. That was a crock. He told us last night he would be in from 10:00 - 4:00... and if we had to wait until after that, the sales manager could deliver the car. Today when we called to say we would pick it up tomorrow, all of a sudden it was a damned emergency we had to pick it up today.

I threw a fit, but ultimately agreed to pick the damned car up today for the convenience of the salesman. (Since when are customers supposed to arrange their schedules around the convenience of the salesperson?????????????).

My assistant dropped me off at the dealership after lunch. I signed the paperwork and took delivery of the vehicle. DH called me and the salesman about dozen times instructing me to bring the car home instead of driving it back to work. I had a million things to do at work, but I'm a damned eejit when it comes to DH and I almost always give him his way. I brought the car home. He played with the buttons and opened the trunk and the hood. I finally insisted he take me back to work, which he did.

At the end of the day, I drove DD's car home. I parked it in the driveway because my new car occupied the honored spot in the garage.

I am amazed and a little freaked out by how excited the people in my world are by my new car. DD, DH, Boyfriend and a bunch of people I work with are all a-twitter.

It's a car, People! Get a grip.

It isn't as if it is something really important like a new book or something way cool like a music album or something totally fun like new clothes.

It's a car. Transportation. Something that will get me from point A to point B, hopefully without the necessity of employing jumper cables or calling a tow-truck.

It's a car that will cost us a couple of hundred dollars a month for the priviledge of driving it. Pardon me if I'm underwhelmed by the excitement of it all. If I had my druthers, I'd druther have decent bus service in this town so I wouln't need a car to get back and forth to work.


No comments: